What is Hard Water and Why Should You Care?
85% of the country has hard water according to HomeWater 101, and Louisville has some of the hardest water in the country.
Water hardness is the amount of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water — hard water is high in both calcium and magnesium. The reason you can feel the difference on your skin is because soap reacts with the calcium to form soap scum. This results in the need for more soap or detergent to get things clean. And that’s where the term “hardness” came from… it’s hard to wash in.
The calcium and magnesium in hard water cause problems in your home such as:
- Glasses and dishes remain white filmed and spotted even after cleaning.
- Clothes can look gray and dingy because of reduced “sudsing” action.
- Clothes don’t last as long because of the harsh minerals in hard water.
- Clothes can feel stiff or harsh.
- The taste of tea and coffee can be affected by hard water.
- Clogged pipes and reduced water flow can be caused by hard water.
- Film and scale can accumulate on tile and bath/kitchen fixtures.
- Your skin can feel dry from an invisible soapy film left on it.
- Your hair can look dull and limp from excess filmy shampoo residue.
- The life of your water heater can be shortened by deposits of scale.
- Utility bills can increase due to accumulated scale in the water heater because scale is a poor conductor of heat which increases the energy needed to heat water.
Do you have any of the above signs of hard water? Our water quality expert can visit your home and analyze your water for only $17. Hard water is only one of the things that the water quality analysis can reveal.
Louisville Water Softener Experts
Louisville has some of the hardest water in the country, so it is important to consider adding a water softener to your home. Water softeners remove minerals such as calcium and magnesium and replace them with sodium or potassium which are “softer” minerals.
What are the benefits of soft water?
- Water softeners will lessen the need for repair to water pipes. The calcium and magnesium in hard water can build up in pipes causing a blockage which can lead to clogs.
- Your clothes will last longer. Clothing is expensive, and we want to get as much wear out of them as possible. Plus we want them to be comfortable. Washing your clothes in hard water can actually harm the fiber of your clothing, and they can feel rough and uncomfortable.
- Your skin and hair will benefit. Soft water allows your skin to be softer and your hair to be healthier by making it easier for bacteria to be washed away.
- Your water-using appliances will last longer. A water treatment system will protect your washing machine, dishwasher, water heater, humidifier, and refrigerator from damaging mineral build-up which will lessen the chance of equipment failure. That means less repair bills and a longer life.
- Your water will taste better. The minerals in hard water can cause a bad smell and taste. When you add a water softener, it removes the mineral content to produce odorless drinking water that tastes good.
- You can save money. While a water softener will be an investment, you can save money on utility bills because water-using appliances will operate more efficiently, using less energy. Plus, since those appliance can have a longer life with soft water, you won’t have to replace them as soon.
- You can use less soap for washing clothes. Soap lathers more in soft water which means that you will need less soap to wash your clothes. This can save you money in energy and the cost of soap.
- You won’t have water spots. Hard water leaves water spots on dishes, glasses, and utensils whether you are washing them by hand or in a dishwasher. Soft water takes care of this by lessening the minerals in the water.
- Household cleaning time can be shortened. Soap lathers more in soft water which means that you will need less soap for general cleaning. So, it won’t take you as long to clean because you don’t need as much “elbow grease”.
- Your water heating system will operate more efficiently. Soft water will lessen the mineral build up in your water heater and heating pipes which can improve the efficiency of the system. This allows for less heat loss and more energy output which can lower your energy bill up to 10%.
- The risk of skin diseases can be decreased. Soft water can give your skin a soft feeling, but it can also decrease skin irritations. Studies show that using a soft water systems may help you avoid some skin issues like eczema and other dry skin problems. It can also help you have clearer, more resilient skin.
- You may recover your investment in 2 to 4 years. Since soft water can lead to more efficient appliances, less soap usage, and less need for appliance repairs and replacement, you can save enough money over 2 to 4 years to recover your investment in the water softener.
Water Softener Inspection by an Experienced, Licensed Plumber
Our water quality experts are ready to inspect your water softener to make sure that it is operating at its best. The inspection will be conducted by an experienced plumber and will include:
- Water test before & after system
- Valve, motor, bypass functionality inspection
- Check time, regeneration, cycle settings
- Check salt dosage setting
- Backwash performance inspection
- Rinse performance inspection
- Brine draw performance inspection
- Brine re-fill performance inspection
- Check salt levels and bridges
- Check safety float functionality’
Jarboe’s Service Area
Note: At this time, plumbing services are only available in Kentucky.
Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year: (502) 324-1257